Cleaning Things Up
If your central air conditioning unit is not cooling your house to the temperatures that you are setting your thermostat to then you may need to give things a good cleaning in order to give the whole system an efficiency boost in an effort to avoid costly air conditioner repairs.
- The first thing that you should do is to turn off the power to your air conditioner for safety reasons at the main electrical circuit panel.
- Remove any debris that has been allowed to accumulate around the outdoor condenser unit; trim any shrubs and trees and keep the area free of leaves and branches that could potentially block the air going into the condenser.
- Remove the protective grill over the top of the compressor unit and give it a thorough cleaning.
- Use a soft brush to clean the fan and remove any debris from the inside of the compressor unit.
- Carefully hose down the unit in order to remove any remaining dirt and debris.
- Reassemble the condenser unit and ensure that everything is screwed in tightly.
- Turn the thermostat to the off setting and restore the power at the electrical panel; wait a few minutes and then turn the thermostat on you should be able to feel cool air flowing through the vents.
Keep your air conditioners filter changed frequently and also ensure that your vents are kept free and clear of dust and other debris.
The Trouble With Temperatures
If you are experiencing large swings in the temperature within your home it could be that your air conditioner is not cycling on often enough a temperature swing of more than four degrees should alert you to the fact that you may need to look into air conditioning repairs.
On the other hand, if the temperature in your house is dropping significantly below what you have set your thermostat to then it might be that your thermostat is not correctly reading the temperature of the room it is in. Consider looking into calibrating your thermostat it could be a simple problem with your thermostat or something much more serious but you wont know unless you try to eliminate the simplest problem.
Keep in mind that if you are less than handy, or you feel like the scope of the air conditioner repairs is beyond what you can handle, that you should never hesitate to call in the pros to take over. That is what they have been trained and licensed to do. A trained professional can not only help you to resolve any problems that you are experiencing with your HVAC system but he can also help to answer any air conditioner repair questions that you may have.
Be sure to ask your service professional for any tips on things that you can do during the course of the year in order to maintain your entire system.